Wednesday, March 5

Everything Happens for a Reason

I believe in the phrase "everything happens for a reason" now more than ever. Late last year I went for an interview for an internship, which was a great opportunity in Perth. In the interview, I was told that they were only going to be taking an intern for the second semester, when previously they had one for each semester. I was due to graduate in September, so to be offered the opportunity, I would need to rearrange my time left at uni. This would mean that:

1. I would have to extend my time at uni to another full year, when I was already itching to finish.
2. It would heavily affect my plans for the next couple of years
3. I would have to leave pretty shortly after for America for my visa to work, and I wouldn't get the full year in the USA that I wanted.

The internship has to go to a university student due for insurance to cover it. After my interview, my interviewer told me to have a think about what I wanted to do and get back to her as soon as possible. Luckily for me, I boarded an 11 hour flight to Cape Town to visit my brother, and due to my inability to sleep on planes, I had a lot of time to think about it. I decided that it was worth the chance, and so I emailed my interviewer, telling her I was willing to commit, and basically change my five year plan, to be considered.


Unfortunately, I did not get the internship. Well, at the time it was unfortunate. Since then, I have taken an internship, as you know, with the Leukaemia Foundation, and I started that in January. So instead of extending my time at uni, I could finish my internship in March and have four months to work on my big capstone report, and focus on my other two units left, Business Capstone and PR International. I love my internship, every minute of every day I have been challenged, and had the chance to show off my skills, and learn, and work in a friendly, supportive environment.



To further add to the opportunities that have arisen due because I didn't get this first internship, I now have the chance to go to Boston, M.A to pitch to an international client for Globcom as part of my PR International unit, a chance I wouldn't have been able to take if I were to be offered the internship. 



I believe now that everything does happen for a reason, and that I am luckier because I didn't get offered the opportunity. Yes, it would have been good, and obviously I was willing to change my life to have the chance, but since then I have been fortunate in the opportunities I have been offered.

I may now stay in the USA for a couple of months after Globcom, and look for a summer internship before I make the commitment to move.


You can never truly guess where life will take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment