Monday, February 24

Reverent, Like and Other Words

Reverent. The word I love the most. The aim to inspire reverence one day is a common goal. I love words, which is convenient, since I spend a lot of my day writing. For university assignments, for my internship, or my job at Hospitality Inns, or right now, in my blog.

Which brings me to my strangest enjoyment. Style guides. The set of standards and general rules for writing documents for publications, or more commonly, for media offices. Buzzfeed released their own style guide, something I personally have read 3 times, with the more recent, up-to-date use of words, including the much debated "selfie", which I guess is less of a debate considering it has been published in the 2013 dictionary (yet still sits underlined in red as I type this now. Clearly Google didn't receive the memo to update its blogger.) It also has way to correctly capitalise the Apple Store, the hyphenation of live-tweet, and the distinction between takeout (n.), take out (v.), and takeaway (n.). And if you noticed, I am for the serial comma. One thing in my family that is commonly questioned is the use of the word "like", something that my sister and I say too much after both spending some time going to high school in the USA. A word my father will correct wherever possible, telling me to "repeat that without the word 'like'." Fair, I think. However, it was interesting to see this including in the Buzzfeed style guide, and we were given a few different ways to write it. Not that I would ever, and I stress, ever, use this in my professional career without it being in a direct quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment