Monday, February 24

Freo Dockers, O-Day, and Cupcakes

As of February 6, 2014, my first media release has been picked up. The article ran in the Eastern Reporter on Tuesday February 18, page 7. It is a fantastic feeling, seeing a media release through the entire process, from finding a newsworthy story, interviewing the subject, drafting the release, sending it off, being informed it has been picked up, and seeing it in print. I have a copy that I will be laminating and adding to my portfolio. I have also had 3 more picked up since, so I am eagerly waiting to see if they will be published. 



My time at the Leukaemia Foundation is going very well. I am picking up valuable skills and experience, and enjoying every moment.



A couple of weeks ago, a group from the LF office, myself included, drove to Pinjarra to the AFL Auskick Super Clinic, an event for school kids to participate in drills with AFL players. We were there for the World's Greatest Shave as 4 of the Fremantle Dockers were shaving their heads. Those players were Michael Johnson, Zac Dawson, Jack Hannath and Michael Walters. There was a 5 year old boy who has been diagnosed with lymphoblastic leukaemia who came and sat next to the players while the shave happened. The media were conducting interviews, and it was good exposure for World's Greatest Shave. I filmed the shave, thankfully able to work out the video camera and tripod thanks to my media classes in high school. It was an interesting day and great to be part of the event.




I have also attended ECU Joondalup and Mount Lawley Orientation days to promote the World's Greatest Shave. We have had a stall and offered cupcakes for a gold coin donation. The focus of these was to increase exposure and gain interested in the shave event.

I have drafted more media releases and conducted phone interviews. My media releases are improving. When I started, I followed the template we had been taught in uni: (name), (age), has _______ to _______. The more I write though, the better and more interesting they are becoming. I am definitely gaining more confidence in my writing and learning new skills.

I am sadly now more than half way through, but I am looking forward to the big Shave events coming up in March.




No comments:

Post a Comment